HomeWorld NewsOfficial who voted to bar Marcos Jr. election bid retires

Official who voted to bar Marcos Jr. election bid retires

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A Philippine elections official, who voted to disqualify the son and namesake of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos in upcoming presidential elections, has alleged that the elections fee is planning to nullify her vote, after she retires Wednesday.

Commissioner Rowena Guanzon disclosed final week that she voted to disqualify Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. from the race due to a 1997 tax conviction she mentioned was an offense that concerned “moral turpitude,” one of many grounds underneath the regulation barring a candidate from searching for public workplace.

Guanzon has since mentioned {that a} fellow commissioner, who is drafting the primary ruling on the petitions towards Marcos Jr., has delayed its launch till after her retirement so her vote would now not depend.

“They succeeded in stopping my vote,” Guanzon instructed overseas correspondents in an internet information convention Tuesday.

She added the difficulty would possible be taken to the Supreme Court.

Commissioner Aimee Ferolino denied the allegations, and mentioned Guanzon’s criticisms had been undermining the Commission on Elections’ credibility.

The 64-year-old Marcos Jr., who has served as provincial governor, congressman and senator, has topped opinion polls forward of the May 9 vote, alarming human rights and pro-democracy activists, who’ve led pockets of road protests following Guanzon’s claims.

The elder Marcos was ousted in an army-backed “people power” rebellion that grew to become a harbinger of change in authoritarian regimes worldwide. He died in exile in Hawaii three years later with out admitting any wrongdoing, together with accusations that he, his household and cronies amassed an estimated $5 to $10 billion whereas he was in energy.

The late dictator’s son “has a weak moral fiber that’s why I have to disqualify him,” said Guanzon, who will retire after seven years on the elections commission.

Guanzon, who has also served in the Commission on Audit, a vanguard against government corruption, and as a city mayor in the central Philippines, once told journalists she could defend herself in retirement. “I’ll just carry my own gun,” she said.

Marcos Jr. has not publicly responded to Guanzon’s accusations however his political occasion, the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas, requested the Commission on Elections to examine her for improperly disclosing her place on the disqualification bid towards him. It sought her disbarment and forfeiture of her retirement advantages and lifelong pension.

Two weeks in the past, one other group of election commissioners rejected a separate bid to oust Marcos Jr. from the race. The petitioners in that case mentioned he falsely acknowledged in his candidacy papers that he had not been convicted of any crime.

The different main contenders within the race to succeed President Rodrigo Duterte embody Vice President Leni Robredo, an opposition chief who narrowly defeated Marcos Jr. within the 2016 vice presidential race, Manila Mayor Isko Moreno, Sen. Panfilo Lacson and former boxing champion Manny Pacquiao.

A Hawaii court docket discovered the elder Marcos accountable for human rights violations and awarded $2 billion from his property to compensate greater than 9,000 Filipinos who filed a lawsuit towards him for torture, incarceration, extrajudicial killings and disappearances.

His widow, Imelda Marcos, and her kids had been allowed to return to the Philippines in 1991. They have made a political comeback, successful seats in Congress and highly effective provincial posts that introduced them nearer to the presidency. One of her daughters, Imee Marcos, is presently a senator.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular